Sunday, May 3, 2009

Design Statement

I only find it appropriate to show you my design statement I was required to submit upon my acceptance into the Interior Design major. I wonder how much of this will still reign true and how much I will alter as I continue my education at UGA...

To design is to tell a story, to create new things from old. History is a major element that I strive to bring into my designs, emphasizing the circuitous evolution that occurs within the universe and therefore in design--how simplicity stems from complexity and vice versa. Through my creations I want to emphasize detail, focus, and passion in hopes that, no matter how diverse they are, the essence of timelessness encompasses all of my designs.

By molding an environment that was at first divinely flawless to fit the needs of man, a certain degree of perfection is essential. Just as nature was originally, and continues to be, crafted in precise detail, my mission as a designer is to struggle to have every aspect of a design contain a direct purpose. Being a detail oriented person allows me to create a space to have a balance of functionality and aesthetics by having organized thoughts match the goal of my client within the design.

As an artist I strive to have every one of my designs focused around either a very subtle or completely obvious central point. Also, when I focus on my attention to detail I am able to better understand the environment I am working with and to be decisive. My continuous focus on detail causes much complexity in my designs, so simplicity is an element that I am progressively attempting to understand and accomplish. I want to be able to balance these two elements and to understand the essentiality of both.

I was once told that a good artist creates while a great artist steals. While that might hold true in some cases, I believe that the best designs come from a collaboration of minds from different backgrounds. Therefore, versatility and flexibility is vital in order to fulfill the needs of the designer and the client. Individuals tend to focus on the same values and aspects in life when not introduced to something new. Despite the flexibility in my own design style, all of my designs revolve around the passion of my work. I continue to be fascinated as I learn more and more about philosophies of designers other than myself and have come to realize that all of their styles originate from the passion that embodies them. My objective as a designer is to have my designs tell about my personal journeys--ones of passion, thrills, and adventures--and that each new work uncovers a new story of my walk as a designer.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll visit Adam and me in DC and help us get our first apartment looking just right! Got a free week this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to visit you and Adam in D.C. this summer! Just let me know when a good time is for you!

    ReplyDelete